Friday, September 13, 2002

SMASH

Can I just give all my kids Ritalin and be done with it? Or Xanax? Anything? They are so incredibly wild! I swear. To be eight and have tons and tons and tons of energy. We had a sort of good time for part of the afternoon today. The boys all had to go to the auditorium for some lame Boy Scouts rally [they all came back excited about guns! fishing! camping! etc.] so it was just me and the girls. We all looked at each other, and all noted how nice and quiet and lovely it was without the boys around. I said, "What do y'all want to do?" and they wanted to play games, of course, and cheerleaders, so that's what we did. We sat down to play hot potato, but of course it turned into Papas Caliente since they prefer Spanish, and that got old pretty fast so they showed off the routines they're learning in cheerleading.

I went next door to this other teacher's room, just looked at her, and she said, "So, I want to go work at an all-girls' school now. How about you?" I totally do - it was so fun with all the boys [read: behavior problems] gone. I wrote GIRLS CLUB on the whiteboard and let them do whatever they wanted. It wasn't getting too out of control, so I took them next door so they could do the cheers with the other teacher's class.

Now here's where the file under: Another Example of how Much my Students' Lives Suck category - A couple of our girls were playing MASH. [For boys who might not know, MASH is a fun fortune telling game where you find out who you will marry, how many kids you'll have, what kind of car you'll drive, and, what type of residence in which you will reside. Mansion, Apartment, Shack or House.] They weren't playing MASH, though, they were playing SMASH. I asked what the extra S was for, and without even looking up or pausing or anything, a little girl simply said, "Shelter." How crazy out of hand is it that shelter as a type of residence is totally normal to these children?

---

Wow, I just got a phone call from my old boss at the cleaners. She's doing alright and is going to be starting nursing school soon. It was nice to talk to her - I've lost touch with a lot of people from that wacky time spanning from November of last year to March of this year. We talked about which customers we'd seen around town [in Tyler - I swear I saw like fifteen at the Country Club July 4th soirée] and other ex-dry cleaners employee gossip.

I haven't watched any TV today at all. Well I did this morning, but that doesn't count so much. I haven't turned the TV on since I got home from work. I can't really say what exactly I have been doing, because I can't remember. Laundry, um, some other housework, maybe talked on the phone some? What have I been doing for the last three hours?

Tomorrow is Friday! Hoorah! No children for two days! And I get to see both Sleater-Kinney and the Piet Mondrian exhibit at the Kimball this weekend. I might even dye my hair too. Phone's ringing. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment