Wednesday, September 25, 2002

Frustration

Not too long ago I stopped by the Carnival [a grocery store] on the way home from work to get a couple of things. I, as a very poorly compensated teacher, of course, had very little money to spend, and could only get a very small number of items, so I didn't, you know, bounce a check. So, I got really irritated when, in line in front of me, was this lady getting a ton of food - meat, vegetables, milk, tons of cheese, cereal, and probably $100 worth of baby formula - and she didn't pay a dime. All on food stamps. The kicker is that she had on a bunch of expensive jewelry and, on top of that, was really awfully rude to the checker at the store. I got so mad that my throat was red [this is one of those weird quirks about me - when I get mad, embarrassed, etc. my throat turns bright red] and I wanted to scream at this woman: "Quit having kids, b***h! Get a damn job and stop stealing my money! I just spent the last ten hours working with bratty, ungrateful kids like yours, and I make barely enough to get by because half my paycheck goes to feed jerks like you that can't quit having kids!" I mean, I felt awful thinking that, since I'm supposed to be a good liberal and all, but damn, seriously, why can't people just quit breeding if they can't afford to keep feeding?? I understand that in some religions birth control is illegal or whatever, but that's just stupid. There are too many kids in the world already. It is not everyone's right as a human to create offspring. In fact, there are many people in the world who should be forbidden from having kids. But whatever. I should just quit getting upset about this stuff because there is really nothing in the world that can be done about it. I just don't understand why someone who has no money anyway would want to bring a kid into the world that they can't support. And then have, like, four more just for fun. It's just insane. I will never understand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment