Monday, December 16, 2002

Plague

Another stellar day in the elementary school. I got the third grade plague again, but, this time, not from the students. I got it from a teacher friend of mine who also teaches third grade, but at another school. She got it from our friend who is now in the hospital, so, as you might guess, I'm feeling pretty awful, and honestly I'm kind of scared. Amber's complications came in the middle of the night, and the only reason she didn't die is that she was with her boyfriend who was able to rush her to the hospital. I hope that what she has is different from what Sarah and I have, because we both live alone and if we got all sick in the middle of the night, I doubt my cat or her neighbors would be able to help either of us.

The whole school is sick, it seems. When everyone got into the room this morning, I asked who was sick. Seventeen out of 19 little hands went into the air. I spent the majority of the day writing nurse referrals and checking for fevers.

Fortunately I'm scheduled to go to some Reading Intervention training for third grade ESL teachers tomorrow, so I'll be away from the kids. I told them all to stay home tomorrow since we won't be doing anything anyway. I'm hoping that some of them do, so that at least part of the class won't be sick anymore.

Wow. I think I should probably go to bed. I'm miserably sick, and the only thing remotely interesting on TV is Telemundo. By interesting I mean that the reception is good. It's amazing to me that Telemundo, headquartered in Florida, comes in magically clear, yet WFAA [ABC station for Dallas], headquartered down the street from my apartment, doesn't come in at all.

It's hard to believe that in four short days I'll be done with school for the semester. Two weeks off. I don't think I'll know what to do with all the free time. Lots of drinking and sleeping, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment