I almost had to kill some kids today.
See, on Tuesdays, I run detention for my hall. Detention is always filled with fifth and sixth grade students. Today, I had the usual group of boys who always have detention with me every week no matter what. For some reason, though, they were out of control today. I don't know if it was the rainy weather, the amount [huge, horrible, disgusting amount] of candy they've been eating lately, or the fact that school lets out for Christmas in a week and a half. Something got into these kids, though, and it was a nightmare dealing with them.
See, on Tuesdays, I run detention for my hall. Detention is always filled with fifth and sixth grade students. Today, I had the usual group of boys who always have detention with me every week no matter what. For some reason, though, they were out of control today. I don't know if it was the rainy weather, the amount [huge, horrible, disgusting amount] of candy they've been eating lately, or the fact that school lets out for Christmas in a week and a half. Something got into these kids, though, and it was a nightmare dealing with them.
I won't describe the whole glorious half hour, but I'll share the high points:
- being punched in the stomach by a student
- hearing a 10-year-old boy tell me in Spanish to lick his balls
- hearing that same boy say, in English, "Miss ____! He said I didn't have one so I showed it to him!"
- then after that hearing the kid next to him call him a "gaywad" [haven't heard that since 1987!]
- standing in my classroom, helplessly, as two kids shot racial slurs back at each other with great ease...it ended with one telling the other that he wished he had a brick so he could shove it through the other's head.
Fifth grade. Fifth grade! These children are ten, maybe eleven years old. It's so scary to think about what they're going to be doing five, ten years from now that I don't even want to think about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment