Wednesday, November 13, 2002

Parents and Students

Remember a while back when I was griping about the lady at the grocery store using food stamps to buy a bunch of stuff while she was wearing all this expensive jewelry? Well, today I saw the exact converse of that situation.

I am lame and always forget to pack my lunch. So, many days I end up at Sonic across the street. I know, I know. Fast food nation, unhealthy, bad, evil, etc. At least it's not McDonald's. This one lady always brings me my order; she's really sweet, and seems to work so hard. She's always there. So today I noticed she was married, and assumed she had kids. I asked if she had any kids at my school. It turns out her daughter is one of my students!

I thought about that woman a lot today, and also about the family of one of my other students. This girl lives with four adults, four other children, and a baby in a two-bedroom apartment. How is that possible??

Blah. Not much else to say. Had a big visit from the district today, and for the twenty minutes that the woman was in my room, my kids were noisy, unruly, and awful. A boy even did cartwheels across the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment