Wednesday, November 20, 2002

Parent-Teacher Conferences

Three parent conferences yesterday, seven today, 10 tomorrow. Then, I get to leave at 1:30 on Friday.

Today one of the conferences, the last one of the evening, was troubling. Not due to the kid, but his mom. She told me she was four months pregnant and got some really bad news from the doctor about the baby today. He told her she had until Friday to decide whether she would continue the pregnancy. I felt so sorry for her, unable to decide what to do, and scared because she's far away from her family and already has two kids to raise on a small amount of money each month. She is, at least, fortunate to have a good husband and two kids that are wonderful.*

I just don't know how much more of the personal drama and stress that I can take. And it all seems so vital and of great importance because it's kids I'm dealing with. Anything I say or do can affect them for the rest of their lives.

I'm thinking back now to when I was in third grade. My mom got divorced and I had to move to a new school in the middle of the year. My teacher took me under her wing and was so good to me. Maybe she knew my personal life was kind of a mess - maybe not - but I still remember her to this day.

I got a new kid today. He's pretty much a disaster. Obvious anger issues, sketchy dad, no mom, and a voice that sounds like he's probably already smoking the weed that I am fairly certain his dad was smoking before he brought him to school. I'm going to do my best with this kid, but I have a feeling he's going to present huge challenges for me in the near future.

*She ended up keeping the baby - who was born 100 percent perfect and healthy in spite of what the doctor thought he saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment