Monday, August 18, 2003

Third Grade

Today was the first day of school. It went well - so much better than last year! I actually managed to maintain control of this group. Last year I cared what they thought of me, felt that it was important to entertain them from the word go...no. No, no, no. That didn't work. I lost control the first day last year, and I plan to keep control this year. So I was mean.

Remember last year when I said I'd be mean, and then I was nice? This year I was actually mean! I am terribly proud of myself. I suppose when I say 'mean' I mean 'strict,' but in a kid's mind I doubt there's much difference.

My group seems to be pretty naturally well-behaved. They had little trouble staying in their seats, writing quietly and being patient while the business side of the first day [textbooks, supplies, etc.] got taken care of. I'm certain that a large part of the reason why they were so good is that I only have 15 kids, and only five of them are boys. Last year I started out with 29 students, of which at least 14 or so were male. Girls are just better behaved. Sure, they talk a little more, but when it comes to major infractions, it's almost always the boys I have trouble with.

This morning on WFAA I saw the DISD spokesperson say something about all schools in Dallas having air conditioning. Someone's probably said that all the schools have all their curriculum too. Maybe they think we all have a photocopier. Printers. I guess they forgot about us. Kids were throwing up from the heat at our building today. More than half the school is completely without air conditioning. The heat index is, what, 110 degrees? People, especially little bitty people, can not function in those temperatures! I really feel for the sixth grade teachers, 30 adult-sized bodies crammed into a portable building, and no air conditioning. This is Dallas, one of the biggest cities in America, not some third-world place. I know people have it worse, but come on! People pay property taxes. The least we could have is a functioning air conditioner and all the tools we need to start teaching on the first day. We're literally killing time because we don't have Teacher's Editions for math or reading or experiment kits for Science! The only subject we're prepared for [minus being able to print or copy any work, of course] is Social Science. And they wonder why we have to play catch-up for the TAKS tests in the Spring...

--

I was talking to my mother on the phone after school. She asked when I could move to a better school. It made me think...and I think I want to try and stay at this school for a couple more years. At least until I really know what I'm doing and can actually help some kids. People always talk about how something has to change in the education system, and I guess where I can at least try to help make a start toward that is to stay at this school. These children need people who care about them. It's sad, and I guess this happens everywhere, in every big city, but the 'best teachers' run off and work at the 'good schools.' I'm the first to admit I still really have no idea what I'm doing. Many of the teachers at my school have five or fewer years of experience. But it's getting better - a lot more people stayed this year than the last, and it's my hope that next year even more people will stay. The only thing that could make me leave is a job teaching in Mexico or South America, which would only make me better at my job because I'd learn Spanish. But we'll see. It's just the first day of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment