Saturday, October 1, 2011

Thanksgiving, Christmas, and a Funeral Part 3

"What do you mean, gone?" I said.

She looked at me with such pain in her eyes, and over the course of a few minutes that are a bit hazy to me now after nearly four years, explained to me that my daddy, on Christmas night, fell asleep on the sofa in his livingroom. The next morning, just a few short hours later, he was dead.

His wife had found him there on the couch, at first thinking he was asleep. I still don't know really what happened that morning. I know she called both my grandmothers right away (a long story, but my dad and my grandmother - his ex-mother-in-law - were best friends from before the time my parents married until the day my dad died. This is a story for another day, though). My grandmother called my mommy, and it was decided that I needed to be told in person, that I shouldn't be alone when I found out that my dad was dead at the age of 53 years old. A month after his birthday, and on Christmas of all days.

I hate to think of him lying there, dying alone. Probably watching the Discovery Channel, probably sleeping in the livingroom because his marriage was a disaster. I found out later he'd had a big fight with his mother and sisters on Christmas Day, that his mother had said some cruel words and they parted angrily. Other than things turning brighter with me, most areas of his life were not really good. I guess his heart was past broken, his body worn down from years of manual labor and abuse of many things that he probably used to kill the pain of losing his own father at age 12, being divorced and separated from his only child by the time he was 27, losing his successful business by 30...he lived a hard life. But it was over that cold December night. He was at rest.

This was the first time I'd really lost anyone this close to me. An immediate family member; someone who shared my DNA. I didn't really know how to react. I just crumbled into my mother and stepfather's arms and cried for a while.

I am the type of person who needs to take action in crisis situations, though, and so the first person I called upon learning of my father's death was my boss. He is a kind man, and more of a brother or friend to me now than just a superior at work; his kindness to me in that moment is something I'll never forget. I took my phone onto the balcony of my apartment and called his number. I told him what happened and asked him to let everyone else from our close-knit work team know, and to tell my friends at work that I'd call them when I was feeling more up to it.

The next phone call I made was to Mayur. I can't explain why, but I felt I needed him at that moment. I  just wanted my mother and stepdad to leave. I know it sounds cruel, but I think in some part of my mind I knew my mom was hurting maybe even more than I was (she and my dad had been friends since childhood, had gone through losing their own fathers together, and shared a child - me), and I didn't want her to have to be strong for both of us.

He answered my call to his mobile phone, sort of surprised because I never called him during the work day. As soon as he answered, I just said, "Mayur, my mommy and stepdad are here and they've just come to tell me my daddy died...my daddy is dead...can you please come over here?" He said he'd be there in five minutes and he kept that promise.

This was the first time he met anyone from my family. It was a little awkward, but I guess my mom knew how much this guy already meant to me by this time, and felt ok leaving me with him. He told her he wouldn't leave my side and that he would make sure I was ok. He took her phone number and said he'd call if I needed him to.

My parents left and I again collapsed and cried. I cried until I couldn't cry anymore. I was dirty, in shock, and a mess. I told Mayur I wanted to take a shower and that I would be back out in a little while. He made sure I would be ok, that I wouldn't pass out or anything, and I went into the bathroom and cried into the hot water some more. I finally calmed down, got out of the shower, dressed, and took a deep breath.

I walked out of my bathroom to find Mayur, Dinesh, and Manjari sitting silently on the couch. Mayur looked at me and said, "In India when someone dies we all come together. So they are here now with you. We are all here with you."

My neighbors, who after this would surely be my friends...offered their condolences and sat with me. After some time everyone decided that I needed to eat. By this time it was later in the day and I had not eaten since the day prior. We loaded into Dinesh's car and headed to an Indian restaurant with the pinkest walls I think I've ever seen. It felt so surreal, sitting, drinking coffee, eating dosas, and holding back from telling the waiter, "Well, my father died about 12 hours ago, I am sitting here with three people I hardly know, I'm not sure what is actually going on around me..." when he asked how we were today. Mostly I just sat quietly and did the best I could to eat. I was still very much in shock.

After lunch we went across the street to eat ice cream. I didn't like it and soon felt like going back home, so we left. These new friends were just so kind. They were newlyweds, Manjari  in fact was brand new to America, and I was her first friend in her new country. The fact that they all came together like a family to me was something that warmed my heart on that sad day. It somehow felt better to me to be with them than it did to be with anyone else I'd known for years. I guess somewhere in my brain, my subconscious knew that these people would be my family, but just not yet.

That night Mayur and I basically sat in the floor of my apartment, listening to my dad's old Pink Floyd records and talking about him. I told him all about the history of my family, about my dad, what kind of guy he had been. I told him about how we'd spent Father's Day together this year for the first time in ages, and that on that day he'd handed over every bit of the family artifacts he had into my care. How he'd told me about the day his father passed away in the livingroom of his childhood home as he handed me a Ziploc bag containing what had been the contents of his father's wallet the day he died, his work badge, a book of family history, and a few other items.

I couldn't bear to look at any pictures then, and to this day it's actually very hard for me to listen to Pink Floyd because it takes me back to that night, the first night I lived without my father on this earth.

Something shifts in you when you lose a parent. It's something one can only understand when they've gone through it. You're just never the same.

The next morning I realized that I, as the only child, had a funeral to plan. I wasn't about to let my stepmother make too many of the decisions - my opinion of her wasn't the highest to begin with, and over time it would sink lower and lower. Today when I think of her I feel quite a bit of contempt.

Just as I was getting ready to leave - my mother drove back into town to take me on the two-hour drive to the tiny town where the funeral home and cemetery were located - my phone rang. It was my doctor. I listened to her quietly, and Mayur looked at me, knowing something more was wrong as he saw the tears streaming down my face.

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow...my heart goes out to you after reading this, I must say you and this sequence of events have been on my mind since I read your last post.
    I dunno what it is, I can't put my finger on it exactly....but it has touched me somewhere...

    I have never lost a parent, thankgod, and neither has hubby...touchwood, so I have no first hand information of how or what one feels in a situation like that, and I'd like to say I would never like to know, but that's easier said than done...
    Firstly, when I read your post, it made me think about my relationship with my own father, which has been a bit rocky, and blow hot, blow cold type of a relationship, my father has/had a terrible temper, and was a little aggressive by nature, yelling, screaming, and he had on occasion hit me when I was little, it might have been a slap or two, but it left a much deeper mark on my mind than on my skin....
    I don't wanna write a super super long comment, so in short I'll say that his temper was the main reason of me resenting him growing up, today however, my father is old and fragile, the volcano has calmed down, and he no longer has that temper, he tries to go out of his way to show me/us how much I/we mean to him, he loves my daughter, and doesn't let anyone even raise their voice at her (whenever we are visiting in India), so that tells me that maybe he is sorry for conduct in the past, and wants to make up for it in a tiny little way....for the most part I do feel like I've forgiven him and moved on, and deep down I know I really care for him, but sometimes those feelings do come back to me...but reading this post, made me think how precious life is, and how we must value and celebrate what we have while we still have it....thankyou for that...thankyou for sharing your story...
    There's even more about this post that has touched me and there is a similar person I lost in my life, who even though wasn;t a parent, sure was the next best thing, but I won't go into details, and probably might blog about it instead....so you can read it there....

    But, I do feel your pain, and I am so so sorry for your loss, it is a loss that can never be filled, we can never get another parent, no matter what else we get in life, and so it must have very difficult for you..
    I read several blogs, and am lucky to have some incredible bonds with some of my close blog friends even outside of blogworld....yet, I'm very happy to have found your blog, I dunno why I've connected with it so much, but I just wanna keep reading on and on and on....

    will be back for more later...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A - Thank you SO much for taking the time to write this. You are really inspiring me to keep writing here and telling my story. I had blogged a long time back about the challenges I faced as a teacher, and when I discovered the intercultural relationship/India blogs I was inspired to start writing again. However your comments are really making me want to keep at it more than anything else!

    I'm also very glad to hear that your dad's heart softened with age and that he became kinder toward you. I wonder if becoming a grandpa to your little girl helped him in that direction.

    About parents being far away - I do think sometimes that it is nearly as hard being so far away from one's parents as it is to have lost them. I see how sad my husband gets - he would be upset at me for saying this but I have seen him shed more than a few tears over how much he misses his mother.

    I hope you will write about the person you mentioned that was close to you (somewhat selfishly here because I really enjoy reading your posts. We are both long post-writers :). I can say that I found it very cathartic writing all this out - I still have a bit more to finish on this part of the story, and then so much more to catch up on over the past few years. I swear I'll get caught up to current times soon!

    I will sign off by saying I am just so touched by your comments, and I also wonder if our paths inadvertently crossed one day back when you and I were in the same city! Incedentally - the places I was talking about in these last few posts were over there in Richardson - the shops by Beltline and 75. Did you ever shop over there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey cora,

    You are most welcome, I am just being selfish by coming by and reading your blog it's honestly addictive to me....I check my inbox everyday to see if there's a new post by you...haha...

    About my dad, yea thankfully he did find kindness later on in life, I think being a grandpa definitely added to it, however in my honest opinion, it was after getting to know my hubby and really growing to love him, that caused that shift in him. My husband is a very patient, kind and mild mannered guy, a total opposite to my dad in that sense, so watching him treat me and everyone with kindness, triggered something in him that prompted him to change himself, atleast that's mine and my mom's assessment of it... My dad was a leeetle bit skeptical of my hubby before marriage, since mine isn't an arranged marriage and he was naturally worried for me like any dad would, so in the days and months after my marriage watching my hubby, not only improved hubby's opinion in dad's mind, it kinda also made him take a second look at himself, or so we think...

    You know, it's so true that being thousands of miles away from parents, is in a way like losing them, most days you console yourself, that they are doing well, and we can talk over the phone, and have skype sessions and what not,
    but still, every once in a while you come across those days, where you just need a hug from mom, and can't shake the feeling, and no phone call makes it better, and on those days, it certainly feels like one has lost them...

    Haha....yea I'm definitely a long post writers, I am not 'in a nutshell' kinda girl...haha
    about the person I lost, I'll tell you here in brief, and then you can read in detail on my blog...
    It was my father's paternal aunt, she was widowed and lived in our parents home since the time I was born till I reached high school...
    so it was a looong time, my mom was a working woman, so the daily caretaking was done by 'Akka' as we called her, she loved me deeply,
    and losing her was one of the most traumatic events of my life...and I even had a bizarre experience once after she was long gone, for that though you'll have to read my post :D

    Oh, yea I definitely visted shops/restaurants on Richardson/Addison/Beltline a lot, it's entirely possible that we could have come across each other without ever knowing it...we can certainly hope so... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your husband sounds so wonderful! I wonder too if it made your dad see you in a different way...to see that you had chosen such a good man on your own - and now the two of you have built a good life and are raising a child who I bet is super adored by everyone.

    I am looking forward to your post and story about your Akka...I bet she helped make you the great person I can tell that you are just by our online correspondence! It had to be hard losing her, and especially since she had been a part of your daily life. She must've been like a second mommy to you.

    I miss those Richardson shops! They were not the best, and now we have access to Artesia here in LA with so many shops, but I have a lot of memories there. My friend Cristina whom I mention a lot, she and I used to pretend we were 'going to India on vacation for the day' and spend our afternoon eating and looking at Indian clothes in those shops. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankyou Cora, yes my hubby is an awesome guy....I surely hit the jackpot in the husband market.. :-))....amazingly, I think even my hubby was a blessing brought into my life by my 'Akka'....why and how I shall mention in my blogpost of her...I've just been so preoccupied with some personal stuff for the past few days, so haven't even got around to it... but I'll finish it soon...
    Yes, maybe my dad was proud of me for choosing someone like my hubby on my own...today absolutely he boasts about me and hubby and definitely my daughter to anyone who'd care to listen ! haha...

    Thankyou for your kind words Cora, you are too sweet...Akka was a big influence on my life, and she most definitely was like a second mother too me...
    There are so many things I admire about her that words are not enough... :-)

    ReplyDelete