Monday, August 9, 2004

Year Three

I took the summer off. Should have spent some time writing, but it's funny how the allure of beaches, sand and relaxation will keep one away from the computer.

Today was the first day back at school for the teachers. It's out of character for me to say this, but I feel really good about this year. I like the people I work with in my grade level. It's an easygoing group, but serious about making sure the kids are ready for middle school when we close the doors at the end of this year.

Oh, yeah, I moved up to sixth grade. It's a big change from second grade. I'm very pleased with my decision to move up; I think a large part of my frustration with my job over the last two years has been dealing with little, tiny children on a daily basis. They're adorable and quite charming sometimes, but they are just so needy! I'm ready to work with people who are a little more capable of taking care of themselves. Just the little stuff - tying shoelaces, knowing their birthday - simple things like that really got to me with the second graders.

I'm no fool - I realize that a room full of 11-13 year olds is no place to be. I collected a wardrobe of conservative attire and plan to try to make myself look older. My position is a dream - I'm only teaching Science. I absolutely love Science and can't wait to share how interesting it is with my students. I know some will think it's boring, but I'm going to change their minds. I have so many ideas - so many MORE ideas than I've ever had before - about projects and thematic units I want to plan. Science offers so many opportunities for fun. We've got a garden at school that is quite neglected; it will be fun to have the kids grow vegetables and flowers out there. We'll go to the IMAX and we'll have pets, maybe some fish or turtles. No hamsters, though - warm-blooded animals are too much trouble.

I'm actually looking forward to going to work tomorrow. This is so weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment