Thursday, September 4, 2003

Corrections

This week there was an article in the daily paper that mentioned me, and the performance of my class at my school last year. It was a positive article; however, they got my numbers wrong! I have no idea where they got the percentage that they put in the article. In discussing this with a coworker, I began to wonder just how much in our newspapers is wrong. I realize this is an old issue, but I'm guessing that most people assume that facts they read in a major daily newspaper are accurate. It seems that lately, this is becoming less and less true.

School's going pretty well, by the way. My students this year are just so eager to behave well. Last year was so much harder. I suppose I know a little bit more about how to handle kids now, but I really think this bunch is just better behaved by nature. Their English is so very low, though. I went to some special ESL training yesterday and it was outstanding (shocking!). I can't wait to go in to day and try some of the things I learned. I'm going to spend a lot more time just teaching vocabulary. I can teach grammar and structure all day long, but if they don't have the words, they can't write interesting essays.

I'm pleased...Yo la Tengo tickets are on their way to my mailbox, as is an order from Insound. Also, one of my neighbors moved out and gave me her microwave. I've never had one before! It's so much faster than having to do everything on the stovetop. Now all I need is a toaster so I can quit using the broiler to make toast.

And now I'm talking about toast, which means that I am just looking for a reason to sit at this computer and not go get ready for school. The third grade plague has hit me already - I feel like death. The last thing I want to do is go expose myself to more germs.

No comments:

Post a Comment