Saturday, February 8, 2003

Geography Lesson

I have no idea how to answer the questions the children are asking me about war with Iraq. They started asking all these questions yesterday, so we got out the globe to at least see where Iraq is located.

We passed Columbia, and here's the conversation that followed:

Student: I know everything about Columbia.
Me: Really? What do you know about it?
Student: I know that all the cocaine comes from Columbia.
Me: Ummmmm (unable to respond to this due to shock)
Student: I also know that if you sell cocaine, you can make a lot of money.
Me: Ok, but if you sell a lot of cocaine, you'll also go to jail for a very long time, harm others, maybe get yourself hurt...Why do you know all this stuff?
Student: My...um...neighbor...um...[realizing he should shut up]...I don't know. I made it up.

Again, these kids are eight years old. You should be very scared for the future of our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment