Tuesday, January 7, 2003

Right, so...

I made it through the first couple of days back. Craziness ensued once school started - our music teacher died over the break, apparently from some sort of accidental overdose - so the day started out weird. You don't really want to go to the office to sign in and see the obituary of one of your colleagues taped to the counter. She seemed like a nice person but kept to herself. RIP.


Today, I started the day by receiving two new students, including one who speaks absolutely no English. Well, by the end of the day I'd taught him how to say 'yes' and 'no,' as well as, 'my name is Felipe.'

The other validation I got for my current career situation came in the form of a tiny little red-haired girl.

Roberta was in my class at the beginning of the year, and about two months into school her dad started beating the crap out of her mom, so they left and Roberta moved to another school. We all cried when she left and I really did miss her.

About a month ago her mom showed up at my classroom, all frantic like, saying that Roberta was miserable at the new school and kept begging to come back. I said that it would be fine for her to come back, just put a neighborhood family member's address on the forms and bring her back as soon as you can (yes, I know that's wrong, but this is a very common practice at my school).
 
The semester ended, and I figured her mom had changed her mind.

So this morning, when I was putting New Kid A into his desk, the office called to say that a parent had requested me and New Kid B would be on her way to my room. I got mad at first, then asked...wait...is it Roberta?

When she opened the door to come in...I swear it was the cutest and sweetest thing I've ever seen. She was smiling so big and literally ran across the room and jumped up into my arms. The kid even brought me a present. Her mother looked so happy and relieved to see her child smiling again.

Ok, so that's the last time you're going to see anything cheerful and happy and lovely and good posted here, because we had the big 'Don't Do Anything But Teach To The Test' meeting today, and my life will now revolve around giving little children too much homework and more stress than their little minds can handle, robbing them of their childhood fun and for what? So that some number cruncher down in Austin can decide how much money my school will get per child next year

No comments:

Post a Comment