Tomorrow my mother and I are volunteering to be subs at this elementary school. One of the first grade teachers was killed in a car wreck over the weekend, and this dreadful little town doesn't have enough regular subs or parents to volunteer to cover the classes so this poor lady's friends can go to her funeral. So, they had to put a notice in the newspaper today that they desperately needed volunteers from the city to help watch the classes. I think this is so sad. Maybe this apathy on the part of parents (and students, really) is some of the reason why I've made this sudden change in career paths and am applying to teach in Dallas next year. I feel like something has to change in the education system here and the best way to change something is to go ahead and do what you can yourself.
Wish me luck. I'm sending the application in on Thursday.
No comments:
Post a Comment